Who to contact if you are you worried about abuse

If you feel hurt or afraid right now or feel you could be in immediate danger…

call 999 straight away

There are many different types of abuse and it is not always easy to identify. Some people don't want to tell others that they are being abused. This may be because they don't want the person to get into trouble. They may prefer to ignore the problem in the hope that it will go away. Other people are ashamed or afraid of what will happen to them if they tell.

It's not your fault!  If you think you are being abused, it is never your fault and there are ways that we can help you. Don't ignore the problem. It will more than likely not go away on its own.

There is a solution.  Speaking to someone about a problem can help to find a solution to a problem. There are people who will work with you to help you make any decisions, providing help and support to end the abuse.

Who can I contact for help, support and advice?

Remember you are not alone. If you need to talk to someone who will listen, advise and support you, contact:

Gloucestershire Children's Social Care MASH on 01452 426565

Childline on 0800 11 11 or visit the website

The Mix on 0808 808 4994 - a free telephone and email helpline connecting a child or young person to any UK helpline where appropriate

Voice for the child in care on 0808 800 5792 - telephone advice, information and advocacy services for children in care.

Helpline for care leavers on 0808 100 3224

Your call can be anonymous if you wish and we take every call very seriously. We will listen to you and treat everything you say in the strictest confidence.

If you are feeling frightened because something is happening to you, or someone you know, it is important that you tell somebody.

  • If you are at risk or suspect someone is at risk and want to talk to someone phone Gloucestershire Children's Social Care MASH on 01452 426565
  • If you prefer you can send an email to childrenshelpdesk@gloucestershire.gov.uk
  • If you think someone is breaking the law phone the police on 101; or
  • In an emergency always dial 999.

Who else can you talk to?

It can be difficult to talk to someone about what is happening to you or you may need advice about any concerns or worries you have. There are people who you can talk to, who are known as Trusted Adults. These people can include:

  • your parents or carers;
  • a friend's parents;
  • your social worker;
  • your doctor;  or
  • a school teacher or support assistant.

You could ask if your school has a dedicated Safeguarding Officer. This is a teacher who has had special training to help children and young people find the best advice and solutions to any problems or concerns which they have.

Generally, Trusted Adults will not tell anyone else if you don't want them to.  However, in some circumstances they may have to advise others in order to keep you safe.  If this happens they will talk through all the options with you and help you to find the best solutions in your situation.

What services are in my area?

Youth Support TeamOpens new window gives information and support, activity and event listings, education, employment and training opportunities throughout Gloucestershire.

How do I contact my local youth support team?

Help and advice for young people aged 10 - 19 years  (and up to 25 years old in some cases).


Who can I contact about specific concerns?


Help us improve Safeguarding Children in Gloucestershire

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.