What should you do if someone you know has run away from home?

If you're worried about a relative or a friend who has gone missing, contact the police. You can do this by:

  • visiting your nearest police station
  • phoning Gloucestershire Police by dialling 101.

A  police officer will take a report from you about the missing person and will enter all the details onto a national computer. Police forces across the world can use this information to find missing people.

All missing people under 18 years old are treated as a priority and the police will start looking for them as soon as possible.

It is very important to tell a trusted adult and the police if your friend has run away. Do not hide any information if you know anything about where they are or may have gone you must tell someone. Your friend is likely to be at risk of serious harm.

What should you do if someone you know is talking about running away from home? 

Never ever agree with someone that running away is a good idea. It is likely, however bad the situation is, they will end up extremely vulnerable and at risk of harm. It is very important you tell a trusted adult before they actually run away. They can help work out alternative solutions and contact other people who can help them.

Help us improve Safeguarding Children in Gloucestershire

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.